Saturday 9 April 2011

Paul Klee

All I can think of to blog about today is one of the artists I've been studying for my coursework. Most of the artists I have to research aren't actually appealing to me but for the purposes of my course I have to. But you do get the odd artist that you actually think is awesome!Paul Klee was a very individual artist who was influenced by many artist movements including expressionism, cubism and surrealism. He enjoyed experimenting with colour theory and eventually mastered it and wrote about it. He was a German/Swiss artist who worked in several medias including oil paint and watercolour.


This piece of Klee’s work, opposite, is called “They’re Biting” which is a combination of drawing and oil on paper. It is an abstract piece of work, as you can see which actually portrays fishing. It is also one of my favourites of his. Klee, himself, has described this piece of work as “taking the line for a walk” which is an interestingly whimsical phrase. His choice of colour in this piece is also interesting to me as there is not blue in the picture, which is a colour associated with fishing, but the colours are warm and calming- maybe this is how Klee felt when he went fishing. I really like this overall feel of this piece of work as it is rustic, aesthetically pleasing and unique. 

So, what do you all think of this piece? My friend came over and looked at it in my art book one day, saw this picture, and said something along the lines of 
"Haha, unlucky you having to do such a weird artist" and I said
"I like it, actually" and she responded 
"Oh right, I just think it's kind of ugly"

...goes to show how differently people interpret art. For the record my friend wasn't trying to be mean as it may have come across as I recorded the conversation. 

No comments:

Post a Comment