Saturday 1 January 2011

"Purpose" Problems

The other day, Christmas Eve in fact, I was walking to the shops in the snow with my dad and he asked me "What is the purpose of your blog" to which I replied "I don't actually know". 

When I started it up I obviously did it for a reason which was because it looked like fun and it seemed like a good way to practice writing as it's one thing writing at home or for an essay to publishing it on the internet where potentially anyone can see it. So, basically, I thought it seemed a logical step for me to take to develop my writing skills. However, I'm not entirely sure what I was thinking when I chose the title for my blog; FreyaFlobster's Funky Thoughts.

Sure, FreyaFlobster is my youtube name and I basically added "funky" to the title because I liked the alliteration. But now I'm faced with the challenge of writing some posts which actually contain "funky thoughts". I mean I do think of funky things frequently, anyone who has the misfortune to be a part of my R.S group knows only to well. My friends and I make up the rather controversial table where we voice open discussions about how the potential risk of OIL leaks may increase when more than two people live in the same house and whether criminals should either be made infertile or have the word "criminal" tattooed on their forehead instead of the proceeder currently enforced. But this is the problem; I always think of awesome things to blog about at the wrong times, for example when I don't have internet access or any time to write.

OK, I've gone off on a tangent now. What I really want to talk about, hence the title, is purpose and whether or not we really do things for the purpose we think we are. I know this sounds like a religious type debate concerning whether or not fate exists but it is not. I mean that when we decide to do something for a specific reason or maybe for several are we REALLY doing it for that reason/those reasons. It is true, I think, that sometimes we, as people, don't really know what's going on in our brains. Do we really know why we do things and what we want and what we need? Simple decisions we make could be fueled by underlying feelings of frustration, longing or even love and hatred that we don't even know are there. Or we do but not to the extent that they manipulate a lot of our decisions. I'm struggling to come up with an example which isn't too predictable or mundane *sigh*.

So, purpose, purpose, purpose. After I finish writing this post I'm going to contemplate doing my maths homework. But why? Because my teacher told me to? Because I don't want to get in to trouble? Because I want to learn? Because that is what is expected of me? because I don't want to let my parents down? Because I think it will benefit me in the long term? To be perfectly honest I don't know.

P.S. If anyone, due to some crazy impulse, actually read this post don't worry if you don't understand it and think it's a lode of rubbish. You're probably right!!

1 comment:

  1. alot of the time i don't know why i do things, i don't believe that we will ever really understand how someone or somethings mind works, far to complex:)

    really interesting post :D

    ReplyDelete