Wednesday 2 February 2011

Hello And An Extract from my NaNoWriMo Novel

It came as a very pleasant surprise when I visited blogspot the other day and found that a fair few people are following me. Thank you very much, guys, and I hope you continue to enjoy my posts. Now that I have more people reading my blog I also have an incentive to post more so I will try to do so. I have read a few really good books recently which I could post reviews about so if you would be interested in seeing these please comment below and, alternatively, if you would prefer my blog sans book reviews please let me know. 

One thing you may not know about me is that I love to write. And by this I don't mean blog writing, I mean creative writing, as in stories. I've never shared any of my work with the internet before but I feel that today is as good as any other day to release my FIRST little bit of creative writing online. The following is an extract from the first draft of my novel which I wrote during National Novel Writing Month. Any feedback would be great!

It wasn't a proper park, with swings, climbing frames and screaming kids but that was exactly why Mark liked it so much, people irritated him immensely. He watched sullenly as a shabby looking squirrel attempted to position an overlarge conker in to its mouth.  Remarkably, it managed it and proceeded to scurry up a nearby willow tree, wobbling comically under the weight of the conker. Mark could actually see leaves and great droplets of rain water shower from the tree, as the squirrel made its tiny but resolute path of destruction. Hoisting himself to his feet, Mark jogged over to the willow tree and stared in to the greenery, squinting against the shafts of sunlight for a closer look at the scurrying squirrel. He wondered if he stayed perfectly still, the squirrel might not notice him and come closer.  Just as this thought had occurred, a substantial drop of water fell from the disrupted tree on to Mark’s exposed neck. The water trickled in an icy stream all the way down his back and he shivered violently at the shockingly cold water. Annoyed once more, Mark took a step back and began scraping at the frost encrusted earth with his trainer. Stupid rain! he thought savagely and without any real intention launched himself at the tree, kicking and punching at the cold, unresisting bark.  The icy air grated at his hands and face, along with the rough bark and the tree, shaking under the impact, showered Mark with malicious icy droplets.  Ignoring his discomfort, Mark continued to pummel the nearest thing to him, not with anger but that horrible kind of desperation he could never seem to shake off.  

I'm really nervous posting this but I hope you enjoy, regardless. I'm also not entirely sure if that was the best extract to choose from, in terms of quality but I don't know. 

Thanks for reading,

Freya

p.s This is my most recent video

No comments:

Post a Comment